Holidaymakers have recently reported on TripAdvisor that they suffered from a “tummy bug” during their stay, with some reviewers commenting that the food at the hotel was served at concerning temperatures and fresh food was piled on top of old in the buffet restaurant.
The Costa Encantada Aparthotel & Resort in Girona
Situated in the Lloret De Mar region of Girona in Costa Brava, Spain, the Costa Encantada Aparthotel & Resort (also known as the Aparthotel Costa Encantada) is advertised by Jet2 Holidays on an all-inclusive basis to British holidaymakers.
Reviewers comment on cold food and holiday illness
Reviews for the Aparthotel Costa Encantada are generally quite positive on TripAdvisor, with the hotel receiving an average rating of 4 out 5, however, the following reviewers have commented on holiday illness issues that they experienced during their stay in September:
Manchester holidaymaker ‘Lou2295’ wrote a review that is simply titled “Avoid“, in which she says that “the food is not great“. She explains that it’s “not hot enough at all” and she “was sick after eating something“, adding that she “wasn’t the only one” and “there were a few people complaining of similar symptoms“.
‘barbaramG2563PE’ from Preston wrote a review of her stay at the Costa Encantada titled “Barbara“. In her review she says that “the food [was] not hot” and “when [the] fresh food came out the previous food was placed on top“, adding that it “didn’t keep hot in the containers“.
She says that her “husband was ill with sickness and the runs” and “when talking to other guests” she discovered that “they had [experienced] similar” symptoms.
In their aptly titled review; “Tummy bug“, Northampton holidaymaker ‘2014holidays2014’ says that “the food was barely warm” and they “saw people heating their food in the microwave as it just was not hot enough“.
They go on to say that along with their “daughter“, they “had a tummy bug and although [their] daughter was unwell for about 24 hours, [they] had a far more severe attack which lasted for most of [their] holiday“.
‘John E’ from Buckley wrote a review titled “In my opinion, not a 4 star” in which he says “although the food was presented well, it was cold” and they “had to use a microwave to heat [it] up“.
He says that “during [their] stay [his] friends caught” what he describes as “a virus“, stating that this “confined them to bed for about 3 days“, adding that his “wife was also ill for a day“.
‘John E’ goes on to explain that they “discovered that the family in the room next door were all ill with the same symptoms and on talking to other guests, discovered they had also been unwell“. He suggests that “the hotel needs to put hand sanitisers in the restaurant“.
Hotel responds to sick holidaymaker
The Director de Relaciones con Clientes at the Aparthotel Costa Encantada responded to ‘John E’s review. Below you’ll find an excerpt of their response (please note that this excerpt has been edited for ease of reading):
“…We make inspections of our food and drinks to control everything and everything was ok. In fact, if the problem was in our food every guest that [ate] in our buffet would have had problems. In this period of the year, many persons have gastroenteritis [which] can be spread [in different ways], for example, contact with someone who has the virus [and hasn’t washed their] hands after [going] to the bathroom or changing a diaper.“
The importance of receiving a professional diagnosis
Although you might be tempted to self-diagnose or to take the advice of someone who isn’t a trained medical practitioner, it’s advisable to get a professional diagnosis. While some diseases can be self-limiting, which means that they can clear up on their own with a bit of rest, some bacterial and parasitic infections are best treated with medication.
In addition to increasing the chances that you’ll expedite your recovery, by receiving a diagnosis, you can help your hotelier to identify the cause of your condition, whether it was undercooked produce, an unhygienic buffet or another cause, ideally enabling them to prevent other guests from getting sick.
Speak to a travel law specialist
If you have suffered the symptoms such as diarrhoea, vomiting, nausea, and other symptoms of food poisoning while on an all-inclusive package holiday, then under The Package Travel Regulations 1992, you could be entitled to claim compensation from your tour operator.
As part of a free no-obligation consultation, a member of our travel law team can provide you with an assessment of your case and advise you whether making a ‘no win no fee‘ compensation claim is right for you.