Reviewers on TripAdvisor have reported suffering food poisoning symptoms following their stay at the Corfu Golden Sands in Greece, with at least one being hospitalised and others claiming that food hygiene standards may be to blame for their condition.
The Golden Sands Hotel in Corfu
The Corfu Golden Sands, also known as the Golden Sands Hotel, is situated in the St George South region of Corfu, Greece, and advertised on an all-inclusive basis by Thomas Cook. Featuring a beachfront location and a range of appealing facilities, this Greek hotel could be an ideal choice for British holidaymakers
Guests report suffering food poisoning
With an average rating of 3.5 out of 5 on TripAdvisor at the time of writing, reviews for the Golden Sands Hotel are a mixed bag. While there are a lot of positive comments, the following holidaymakers who stayed at the Greek resort this September have commented that they suffered from sickness and diarrhoea during their stay.
Norwich holidaymaker ‘neilhalsted’ wrote a review titled “Served a purpose, would not return” in which he says that the “the food [is] disgusting“, and that “when [they] arrived“, they discovered that “2 of the guests were suffering [from] food poisoning“. He goes on to explain that there were “lots of people [who] had very upset stomachs“.
‘michaela270573’ from Grimsby wrote a review that was titled “worst holiday ever” In her review, she comments that there’s “sickness and diarrhoea throughout the hotel which [she] was told had been an on-going issue since June“.
She says that the hotel “needs updating” and is in need of a “good deep clean“. She also says that the “food is diabolical” and while she “could just about stomach the breakfast“, she found that the “dinners and evening meals [were] a definite no-no“.
In her review titled “My family are currently staying here“, ‘Cassie E’ says “after only being there [for] 2 days, [she] woke up with the worst diarrhoea and sickness“. She explains that “the whole hotel has it due to the dirtiness […] and lack of food hygiene“.
She concludes her review by saying that the “food is kept in a hot server all day” and “the hotel is old and dated and everywhere is dirty“.
Ayrshire holidaymaker ‘jackiekitty06’ simply titled her review “Holiday from hell“, in which she says that their “first indication of how [their] all-inclusive holiday was going to go was about 20 [minutes] after [they] arrived“. Amongst issues with checking in, she says that when they “got to [their] room there was a piece of glass lying in the corner“, and that “it was still there when [they] left 2 weeks later“.
She goes on to say that “2 days into the holiday” she “was taken to hospital with [diarrhoea] and sickness“, and although they “were told this was a virus that was going around“, “strangely, it seemed confined to [their] hotel“.
‘jackiekitty06’ also comments that her “husband also became ill“, as did “many other guests“, and that when they “stopped eating at the hotel [they] got better immediately“.
The importance of food hygiene standards
It’s important for an all-inclusive hotel to have exceptional food hygiene standards, as guests are likely to continue eating at the same restaurants throughout their stay. This means that if there is an issue such as food not being safely stored, prepared and served, the risk that they’ll contract a harmful strain of bacteria or parasite could be increased.
Leaving meals out in hot containers for extended periods of time is a practice that can lead to the spread of food poisoning pathogens. Generally speaking, heated buffet dishes, such as a Bain Marie, can only safely contain certain meals for a set amount of time, but arguably never for an entire day. After this time, the dish should be discarded and if necessary, replaced with fresh produce.
Poor hygiene and holiday illness
While poor standards of cleanliness and hygiene alone might not be enough to make you sick, they can be seen as a contributing factor, as well as an indicator that hygiene issues might not be being addressed in areas where it’s vital to do so. Poor hygiene standards can allow harmful bacteria to breed, which can result in a gastric illness that could bring your holiday enjoyment crashing to a halt.
Find out if you can make a ‘no win no fee’ claim
If you’ve contracted a gastric illness on an all-inclusive package holiday, then under The Package Travel Regulations 1992, you could be entitled to claim compensation from your tour operator. Our travel law specialists can provide you with a free no-obligation consultation to assess if you’re able to make a ‘no win no fee‘ compensation claim.