9th June 2017 BREAKING NEWS:
Jaz Makadi Aquaviva guest says that they fell ill 3 days into holiday
We have been contacted by a family who says that they were hit by gastric illness while staying at the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva in Hurghada, Egypt, where they say that the standards of food preparation could be questionable.
The First Choice Jaz Makadi Aquaviva in Hurghada, Egypt
The Jaz Makadi Aquaviva is located in the popular Hurghada region of Egypt and advertised by TUI-owned tour operator First Choice on an all-inclusive basis. Featuring unlimited waterpark entry alongside a selection of pools, restaurants and facilities, including access to a golf course, this resort has a lot to offer British families looking to get away from it all, but for one family, their holiday to this Egyptian resort soon turned into a disaster.
Family holiday ruined by illness
The family who contacted us says that out of the 4 members of their group, 2 became sick only 3 days into their stay at the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva. They tell us that during their stay they only ate at the resort while they were abroad, ruling out the possibility that their illness could have been caused by food poisoning from some other restaurant in Hurghada.
Our client says that she ate lots of salads, however, she found that much of the food at the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva was lukewarm, and concerningly, the chicken from barbeque wasn’t cooked properly. She also says that her husband had to return an omelette he was served as it hadn’t been cooked properly, although she says that he has yet to exhibit any symptoms of food poisoning.
She informs us that they suffered gastric illness symptoms which included stomach pain, a lack of energy and feelings of lethargy, as well as diarrhoea. She says that on their way home they were so severely affected by their symptoms that they literally collapsed.
They sought out the help of a medical professional, upon which they discovered that other holidaymakers had been placed on an intravenous (IV) drip due to the severity of their condition and some had been diagnosed with Ameobiasis.
What is Amoebiasis/Amoebic Dysentery?
Amoebiasis, also known as Amoebic Dysentery, is caused by an amoeba that belongs to the Entamoeba group. If you’re unfortunate enough to consume it, you might find that this holiday ruining pathogen will take up residence in your intestines, where it will go on to cause you debilitating symptoms such as abdominal cramps, diarrhoea, fatigue, digestive problems, weight loss and even rectal tenesmus.
What can cause Amoebiasis?
There are many possible causes of Amoebiasis, but water is often the source of infection when this harmful pathogen is contracted through food poisoning. This can occur if produce is irrigated with water containing human waste, although produce can usually be cleaned of infections such as Amoebiasis during preparation, unlike pathogens such as Cyclospora.
Infection can also occur in a hotel kitchen, specifically if produce is washed in contaminated water before being served. This is notably a problem for leafy herbs that are used in drinks such as mint in mojitos, but it can also affect salads, something our client has informed us she ate a lot of during her holiday at the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva.
Make a ‘no win no fee’ compensation claim
If you’ve suffered the symptoms of food poisoning such as nausea, stomach discomfort and diarrhoea while on a package holiday to an all-inclusive resort, then under The Package Travel Regulations 1992 you could be entitled to claim compensation from your tour operator.
It only takes a few minutes to find out if you’re eligible to make a claim against your tour operator, and during a free no-obligation consultation, one of our travel law specialists will assess your case and advise you of the best way to pursue your claim.
If you instruct us, you’ll receive representation from an experienced and dedicated travel law firm and representation under our ‘no win no fee‘ terms.