30th May 2017 BREAKING NEWS:
Gastric illness symptoms reported by guests at the Melia Dunas Resort
Holidaymakers who recently stayed at the Melia Dunas Resort have reported that they suffered the symptoms of a gastric illness and commented on possible hygiene problems as part of reviews of their recent stay at the Cape Verde hotel.
The Melia Dunas Beach Resort & Spa in Cape Verde
Situated in the popular Santa Maria region of Cape Verde, the Melia Dunas Resort, also known as the Melia Dunas Beach Resort & Spa, is advertised by TUI-owned UK tour operator Thomson on an all-inclusive basis. Featuring a choice of pools and restaurants, the Melia Dunas Resort appears to have a lot to offer, but recently there have been reports of guests becoming unwell.
This isn’t the first time that guests at the Melia Dunas Resort have commented on problems with gastric illness. In January of this year, we also reported that holidaymakers had encountered possible problems with hygiene and illness.
Reviewers comment on illness and hygiene
At the time of writing, the Melia Dunas Resort currently holds TripAdvisor’s coveted Certificate of Excellence award and ranks in the top half of the hotels in Santa Maria, but even though the Cape Verde hotel has received a lot of praise, some reviewers have commented on possible hygiene problems.
‘sebastian m’ stayed at the Melia Dunas Resort in May, and in his review titled “Food poisoning” he says that he has returned “home after staying [at the Melia Dunas Resort for] a week” saying that he has been “extremely ill“.
He says that initially, he suffered from “cramps in [his] stomach” followed by “diarrhoea” and a severe bout of “vomiting“, and believes his condition was caused by the buffet, commenting that it was “covered with a serious amount of flies” and there were “eggs [left out] in the melting heat“.
Norfolk holidaymaker ‘HikerMad’ stayed at the Melia Dunas Resort in April, and in his review titled “Need serious improvement……“, he says that “the all-inclusive wasn’t great“, explaining that “the food was always lukewarm and [the] hygiene standards were really bad“.
He says that he “ended up with constant vomiting and [diarrhoea] for the first 3 days” and his “wife was ill [on] the last two days“, going on to say that “in the seven days [that they] were [there, they] never experienced any hot food“, and “even the freshly prepared omelette at breakfast never seemed to be thoroughly cooked“.
He explains that he “most mornings [he had] to share [his] breakfast with cats” that were around the hotel, elaborating that this “was not a very enjoyable experience for [his] wife as she’s terrified of them“. He says that “one of the cats had a really large open wound on its leg, yet [it] was running around in the restaurant“.
Further explaining the problems he encountered, he goes on to say that there “was [a] huge amount of flies landing on all the food“, questioning “why [the] food [wasn’t] covered or placed in containers“, and adding that he “suspects [that] this is why he was ill“.
How flies can spread disease
Although flies can become a nuisance on a holiday in a warm country, you shouldn’t have to put up with them. By their nature, flies are attracted to faecal matter, and once they land on faeces it can get stuck to their legs, and they can transfer particles to whatever they land on next, including an uncovered buffet.
There are a number of ways that an hotelier could deter flies from an all-inclusive buffet, but one of the simplest approaches is to ensure that buffet dishes are kept covered when they’re not in use.
Stray cats could make you sick
Flies aren’t the only creatures that can spread disease abroad. Stray cats can be a concern at some resort complexes, and while they might be cared for by the locals, it’s often the case that their health is left to deteriorate. This arguably puts the health of hotel guests at risk, especially if stray cats gain access to kitchen or dining areas.
As with flies, there are many ways to deter stray cats. If hotel staff members are diligent in discouraging stray cats from roaming the hotel grounds, this can be a simple yet effective method of reducing the risk of disease spreading at an all-inclusive hotel.
Food can become hazardous at certain temperatures
It’s important that the kitchen staff of an all-inclusive hotel follow adequate food safety standards, with HACCP often held as the standard bearer. Any restaurant preparation and serving processes should include temperature checking, but in a buffet, checking the temperature of a meal shouldn’t stop once it has left the kitchen.
Meals that are left in non-temperature controlled dishes or that aren’t regularly checked to ensure a constant temperature could be subject to harmful bacteria that could cause hotel guests to suffer a nasty bout of food poisoning.
Make a claim under The Package Travel Regulations 1992
If you’ve suffered a holiday illness caused by poor hygiene practices or food poisoning on an all-inclusive package holiday, then under The Package Travel Regulations 1992, you could be entitled to claim compensation from your tour operator.
We can provide you with a free no-obligation consultation, during which we can advise you of the best method to pursue your claim, including whether we are able to represent you on a ‘no win no fee‘ basis.