Holidaymakers claim that they suffered the symptoms of a food poisoning infection during their stay at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic in Hurghada, Egypt, where they also report that some of their meals were served undercooked.
The Steigenberger Aqua Magic in Hurghada, Egypt
The Steigenberger Aqua Magic is located in the popular holiday destination of Hurghada in Egypt and advertised by UK tour operator Thomas Cook. The all-inclusive hotel appears to have a lot to offer British tourists, but recent mentions of holiday illness in online reviews could be seen as an indication that the Steigenberger Aqua Magic could see further reports of illness, similar to those that we received last summer.
In August of last year, we reported that guests of the Steigenberger Aqua Magic had informed us that they had suffered the symptoms of what appeared to be a Campylobacter infection. While there has been no confirmation of a specific pathogen suffered by the reviewers who have said that they were ill this February, their reviews might point towards a similar gastric illness.
Holidaymakers say they suffered food poisoning
Reviews of the Steigenberger Aqua Magic on TripAdvisor are very positive, with the hotel receiving an average rating of 4 and a half out of 5 based on historic reviews. Unfortunately, a few guests have reported that they have become unwell during their holiday in February.
In his review titled “This place is not all it’s cracked up to be” Cheshire holidaymaker ‘GaryGoodTimes’ says that “the food at this place is awful” and while he says that he enjoyed some of the meals, he reports that he was served “what seemed to be a half cooked burger“, which he says made him feel “very sketchy“.
‘Danni-C-85’ appears to have travelled with ‘GaryGoodTimes’, saying that her “partner [was served] what looked to be a half cooked burger, which resulted in him having sickness and diarrhoea“. As a result of this and some other problems, they “had to take two trips to the doctors“.
Edinburgh holidaymaker ‘dodesuth’ says that the “hotel [is] huge” and “this is probably where the issue [with the Steigenberger Aqua Magic] lies“. She says that “the food in the main restaurant was awful and [that this is what] let the whole holiday down“, explaining that what she was served “was never hot” and she was “ill with food poisoning“.
She goes on to say that “guest relations called [their] room twice to see how [they] were getting on“, but they “were not interested at all that [she] had been ill“. She says that she “was told [that she had just experienced a bout of] Egyptian tummy“, something that she contests having previously been to Egypt on 3 separate occasions wherein “not one of [her group] has ever been ill“. She says that she’s “fully aware of [the] difference between [an] upset stomach and food poisoning” and believes that she “had food poisoning“.
She explains that “the food in [the] main restaurant is not reheated properly” which may have been what caused her condition, which left her “terrified to eat anything for the remaining 2 days of [her] holiday“.
Why rare hamburger is a health risk
In some forms, beef can be served rare without a substantially high risk of food poisoning, but doing so requires very strict hygiene conditions and even then this rule often only applies to steak. Beef burgers, on the other hand, are very different.
Due to the minced meat that they are usually made with, the strands of beef have a much larger surface area than a single piece of steak, giving harmful bacteria and parasites more opportunities to attach themselves to what will eventually become a burger, which is why they need to be cooked through thoroughly. Because steak is so dense, any bacteria or parasites that could harm your health will generally only survive on the surface, which is why it’s accepted that steak is safe to eat rare.
Other causes of holiday illness
Even if a meal has been cooked safely before being served, once it begins to cool the risk that you could suffer from food poisoning continues to increase as it approaches room temperature. Equally; reheating meals can present a similar risk of illness to hotel guests.
Claim compensation under The Package Travel Regulations 1992
If you believe that you have suffered from food poisoning due to mistakes made in the kitchen of your all-inclusive hotel while on a package holiday, then under The Package Travel Regulations 1992, you might be able to claim compensation from your tour operator.
We can provide you with a free no-obligation consultation during which we will discuss your case and advise you of your options, including whether we can represent you on a ‘no win no fee‘ basis.