Andrew Tarling - Holiday Compensation Claims Manager

By Andrew Tarling

Holiday Compensation Claims Manager

Morocco is an increasingly popular holiday destination for British tourists, and hotels such as the Riu Palace Tikida Agadir are advertised as offering a “premium” experience in the region, but with reports appearing online of holidaymakers suffering food poisoning, it could be that some of these all-inclusive hotels are not quite as premium as they seem.

Riu Palace Tikida Agadir in Morocco

The Riu Palace Tikida Agadir is offered by the TUI-owned UK tour operator Thomson as part of their Platinum branded range of hotels. This all-inclusive hotel which is located in the Agadir region of Morocco is advertised as offering a 5-star experience, but from guest reviews, it appears that some corners may be being cut in the hotel kitchens..

Reports of food poisoning and hygiene issues

Reviews for the Riu Palace Tikida Agadir on sites such as TripAdvisor are mostly positive, but there are a few complaints from holidaymakers, some of which have highlighted a possible problem with food hygiene processes in the hotel kitchen:

‘jesshubs’ from Bolton stayed at the Moroccan hotel this November and says that her “partner suffered from an upset stomach for 5 of the 7 days [that they] were there and still isn’t right [since returning] home“, adding that there were “a lot of people who were ill” during their stay.

‘Anna B’ was also a guest at the Riu Palace Tikida Agadir stayed in November and says that along with her “boyfriend“, she became “extremely ill with food poisoning“, commenting that she “lost 6lb in the space of 10 hours“. She says that she is “100% certain it is from the grilled chicken [they] ate for lunch on [their] last day” as she “noticed that the person who was cooking the chicken was using the same tongs for the raw chicken as he used to move the cooked chicken on to guests plates.

Peterborough holidaymaker ‘Carol K’ stayed at the Riu Palace Tikida Agadir in October and says that “the brown louvred wooden doors into the bathroom and toilet” provide “no privacy at all“. She notes that this was particularly problematic when she was suffering from “tummy problems“.

Birmingham holidaymaker ‘BirminghamBumbleBee’ also stayed at the Riu Palace Tikida Agadir in October and in her in-depth review she states that her “husband had an afternoon burger snack which had been cooked originally at lunch time and after eating most of it, he realised it had not been cooked properly.” The result was that he suffered food poisoning symptoms of “vomiting and [a] bad stomach” that continued for at least “4 days“.

‘BirminghamBumbleBee’ continues to say that they “met lots of people who had either got sick or had [a] bad stomach“, including “one family who had stayed in this hotel previously and had a brilliant time, no illnesses, but this time they were all ill too“.

Health risks of burgers versus steaks

Why are undercooked burgers so risky?

Unlike steak, burgers should always be cooked thoroughly, ensuring that there aren’t any pink bits in the middle. There’s been a common misconception that pink burgers can be eaten in the same way that you would eat steak, but because steak should be cut from one piece of dense muscle; there is little surface area on which bacteria can grow, provided the steak is stored safely. Because steak is so dense, harmful bacteria shouldn’t be able to penetrate the surface which is why it’s generally considered safe to eat steak that has only been cooked on the outside.

Conversely, burgers are made from minced meat (usually beef), which has a much larger surface area than steak (picture every individual piece of mince as having its own surface area) on which harmful bacteria could grow. Because of this, it’s vital to cook burgers all the way through, as the risk of infection is far higher than it is in steak.

Should I be concerned about cross-contamination?

Cross-contamination is a really basic hygiene mistake for a hotel restaurant to make, but unfortunately, it’s one that can be all too common. Cross-contamination is the result of using the same utensils or preparation surfaces where raw produce has been, and allowing cooked meals to come into contact with them. This simple act can undo all of the good that thorough cooking can do, as any harmful bacteria or holiday ruining parasites that might still be alive on these surfaces or utensils are transferred to the food served to your plate.

Claim for holiday illness compensation

In the event that you are subjected to hygiene mistakes such as these on a package holiday, then under The Package Travel Regulations 1992, you could be entitled to claim compensation. It only takes a few minutes to find out if our travel law specialists can represent you on a ‘no win no fee‘ basis; contact us for a free no-obligation consultation today.

Get in touch

If you want to find out more about claiming for illness at the Riu Palace Tikida Agadir in Morocco; contact us by completing our enquiry form and we will call you back, call us on 0808 145 1353 or visit our On Holiday Claims website.